Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What went wrong with this forum?  (Read 1242 times)

M3TR0Topic starter

• tOLP Contributor
  • Captain
  • And Now
    • View Profile
What went wrong with this forum?
« on: 26 Dec 2018, 22:52 (2 years and 10 months ago) »
Nobody posted in this board for a year! Well, up until I posted in here just now.

It's a shame, really.

Dav999

• Administrator
  • Hyper Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What went wrong with this forum?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Dec 2018, 14:43 (2 years and 10 months ago) »
Nowadays everyone only wants to talk on Discord, I guess. :shrug2:

As for this board, there has only been one recent "other game" by Terry that's big enough it's worth talking about: Dicey Dungeons, but that also has a Discord server.

I think it's kind of a shame that Discord causes such disuse of the forums, because forums definitely have their advantages over Discord. For example, everything on a forum can be customized incredibly well to a community's needs, while you can't even dream of changing Discord's code to add your own features to your server. You might be able to add features via a bot, but that can only make use of Discord's existing functions. (Want spoiler tags? Guess you'll have to wait a decade for Discord to decide to implement it, or use a bot that quickly removes a spoiler message and DM's you the message once you place a public reaction which is so clumsy. Want everyone to be able to quote messages? Haha, maybe just copy-paste the message out of context, or copy long message permalinks around which were also added pretty overdue. Want to have a better search feature, one that won't include tons of irrelevant search results for words that look almost like what you're searching for with no way to override it? Guess you're out of luck if you can't make a bot. Want to move a group of messages to a different channel? Hahaha, maybe just ask people to send further messages elsewhere. etc.) Plus Discord is another company which you just have to trust on their word that they're not spying on you. Aaaanyway.

(Have I expressed that opinion yet? I like a lot of aspects of Discord, but I also dislike certain ones, which I could list even more of.)